Enter The JDream MX

Saturday, August 17, 2019

I finally left my abusive job, the one that had been hacking at my mental health for the past 6 months or so. Half a year of being on the edge, with little to no rest, and where the fear of getting reprimanded was constantly playing on your mind.

Before we go further, let us have a recap of the events that led to these unfortunate set of circumstances happening:

April 2019. It was my last month of tenure at Company X. Said company's main line of business was in marketing solutions, and of their clients (a particular credit card company) was the source of income for my workplace. I was brought in to replace the ageing Operations Manager, and I found myself having an uncanny knack for doing Operations; in fact, one may even say I enjoyed and excelled at it. Things were starting to look up.

However, the dark side of ambition is that it always requires a sacrifice of sorts, and in my case, someone, or rather, a few individuals, had the collective decision that my presence in the company posed a threat to their very careers (because there's no such thing as being too good at your job without someone feeling queasy about it).

Fast forward - I got notified that the company had decided not to renew my contract for the upcoming year (despite curiously receiving a Letter Of Confimation just months ago). That was in November 2018 when the weight of my world started to crumble onto me: no job, no money, and that new Honda Jazz that I was eyeing as a replacement for my 12-year old Myvi rustbucket? Gone. Just like that.

Fast forward again - the end of April was coming fast, and I had to figure out how to sustain myself and my car. Out of the blue, this job offer from a close friend came along, and the requirements to join was pretty relaxed as well. Seemed OK. Or so I think. All the red flag signs were there even during the interview itself, but I was desperate, and desperation is a tool that some people can use to prey on for their own benefits.

Soon I was an employee of the new company (let's call this Company Z, which is itself a branch of Company Y). Now the role I was promised during the initial meet-up was that I only handled projects and reporting documentation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home